Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Landsknecht sleeves, day 2


I started assembling the panes for the mockup of the sleeves.  Turned out that I had some purple and green fleece in the basement from a past project for my kids.  I wasn’t sure how I would manage the assembly.  At first I ran a hand stitched seam holding the panes together at the gather point.  I found that to be much too tedious.  For the remaining seams I chose to use some painters tape to hold the pieces together.  I laid all the pieces out on the floor and then placed a strip of masking tape along the seam line.  I rather like that approach.  It held well enough while I used a sewing machine to run the stitch and hold the panes together.


The blue masking tape was easily removed without damage to the material as well.  I will test this on the wool before I do the final version, but I don’t see any reason why it would work differently for the wool.  I’m still considering hand sewing this doublet.  Until I decide for sure I think I’ll keep this tape approach in my back pocket.

You can see the stitched panes with and without the foundation layer of the sleeve lying upon it.