Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011




Well, I seem to have found at least some of the motivation that I’ve been needing.  Haven’t really been sure what I wanted to start working on next and then an email came out declaring the Midrealm Scroll Blank Challenge.  I decided to finally give illumination a real try.  I plan on attending some of the upcoming scribal workshops.  In the mean time I’ve simply taken some books out of the library and tried my hand at sketching some ideas.  Here are some Scroll blank sketches I’ve started along with an image of the original inspiration.

The following is from a manuscript called Visconti Officium  published in a book called "Illuminated Manuscripts, The book before Gutenberg".
 


The following is from a 14th century manuscript called The City of God published in a book called "Illuminated Manuscripts, The book before Gutenberg"




The following is from a manuscript called Martyrdom of St Thomas Becket published in a book called "Painted Prayers, The Book of Hours in Medieval and Renaissance Art"



The following is from a 14th century manuscript published in a book called "The history of illuminated Manuscripts"
 



The following is a sketch (which is my favorite of the five I've made) which I intend to be used as a scroll for a Celtic version of the Order of the Willow.