Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Leather Needle Case

And the leather kick continues.  

I've been having some fun playing leather lately.  I've been working on a handful of projects all at the same time.  This was inspired from a penner I made recently.  When it was completed I thought to myself, "heay, that would make a great needle case if it were smaller!"  Thus this project was born.  I took the same basic shape, style and construction from the recent penner project and simpy did it smaller.  I used a 1/2 inch copper pipe as the template for the shape of the case.  All in all I'm only mildly happy with the result.  I really think I should have done the rough side in on the case so that the lid would open/close easier.  Also, I think on my next one I'll make a much larger overlap so that the lid stays on more easily.  I may just use this as an example of what not to do.  The lid is not very study.  I may carry it to Pennsic the way it is though.  I don't have a lot of time to redo it now.  :-(



Soaked in water and dried to harden it.  I then cut the piece into two pieces.



I cut the caps to fit snuggly on before stitching them in place.




I soaked the inside layer in water and let dry overnight and then added the outer layer.  I used a small piece of brass wire to hold the slits opened which I would use for the hanging strap.






After completed and dried,  I used the same vinegaroon as I've been using a lot lately.  Love the stuff.  The vinegar smell fades after only a few days.


Dyed and ready to chop.  Small knife was used to gently slice into the piece and remove the cap.



for the carrying case I used a small piece of braided leather which I had previously made.  I don't even know why I made this strip, but it has been hanging around in my project box for over a year.  Now it has a home.  At least about 1/3rd of it has a home.  I only cut off a small portion to use as the hanger.  Had I liked the resulting case more I might make a better strip.  Not bad for a first attempt, but I will definitely have to make another one of these later.