And the leather kick continues.
I've been having some fun playing leather lately. I've been working on a handful of projects all at the same time. This was inspired from a penner I made recently. When it was completed I thought to myself, "heay, that would make a great needle case if it were smaller!" Thus this project was born. I took the same basic shape, style and construction from the recent penner project and simpy did it smaller. I used a 1/2 inch copper pipe as the template for the shape of the case. All in all I'm only mildly happy with the result. I really think I should have done the rough side in on the case so that the lid would open/close easier. Also, I think on my next one I'll make a much larger overlap so that the lid stays on more easily. I may just use this as an example of what not to do. The lid is not very study. I may carry it to Pennsic the way it is though. I don't have a lot of time to redo it now. :-(
Soaked in water and dried to harden it. I then cut the piece into two pieces.
I cut the caps to fit snuggly on before stitching them in place.
I soaked the inside layer in water and let dry overnight and then added the outer layer. I used a small piece of brass wire to hold the slits opened which I would use for the hanging strap.
After completed and dried, I used the same vinegaroon as I've been using a lot lately. Love the stuff. The vinegar smell fades after only a few days.
Dyed and ready to chop. Small knife was used to gently slice into the piece and remove the cap.
for the carrying case I used a small piece of braided leather which I had previously made. I don't even know why I made this strip, but it has been hanging around in my project box for over a year. Now it has a home. At least about 1/3rd of it has a home. I only cut off a small portion to use as the hanger. Had I liked the resulting case more I might make a better strip. Not bad for a first attempt, but I will definitely have to make another one of these later.