Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thread Wrapped Buttons


I planned to make at 50 thread covered buttons. Why? Because this it he A&S50... so I have to make 50 right? As part of the challenge and for personal growth I decided to learn a new skill. I really hate the look of modern buttons on period outfits. In general I don't use buttons. I wanted to make at least 50 buttons, not for any specific garment, but simply to develop the skill to required to make quality buttons for future outfits. I made quite a few buttons before I even started to like what I saw. It took a few attempts before I worked out the system. Once I figured out a process I liked, I started experimenting with different styles and types of wrapping. In general I use hooks and eyes for ALL my clothing, but now that I've worked out a way to make nice looking buttons I may use them more often. I've made 30 off-white buttons. Twenty five of the thirty are passable and may be used. Right now I have no idea what I'll use them for. Once I had 35 of the 50 buttons created I decided what I'd use some buttons for. I modified this project as some day I plan on making a pair of sleeves for a hand stitched doublet I have. I'd like to make the sleeves open with buttons on them. I believe I'll need about 12~13 buttons per sleeve and so I planned on making 26 two-tone blue and white buttons. I also made a couple handfuls of other buttons of varying colors as practice. I have no idea what I will do with those buttons. I'll likely never use them but can't seem to throw away. I'll keep them if for no other reason than to document the learning process.


Small bags for gaming pieces

These are simple items, born out of necessity. I purchased a number of glass, wooden and marble pieces which I planned on using for period gaming. I needed some place and manner to store the pieces and so I decided to use up some of my scrap material which I never throw away. These are simply small hand stiched pouches made of felted wool and ornamented with braded cord and tassels.. An additional braded cord was used for the closure. All the bags are made of the same scrap wool. The varying sizes are solely based on the size of the scraps I had. I altered the tassels and cords used so that the contents might be distinguished more easily.