Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Bone Thimble

Here is s quick little project that has been in the back of my mind for a while and was recently stirred into the front of my mind by my spouse.  When she is out for the evening and has taken the kids with her, that often leads to a particular favorite type of dinner.  I generally like a large portion of good steak with a small side dish of lamb chops.  All cooked very rare on the verge of raw.  OK, I know.  I'm a carnivore, what can I say.  Well last week my wife had such an adventure and I had such a dinner.  Here is the result.  I decided to boil the lamb bone for about an hour, scrape it clean and let it dry in the sun for a week.  I picked it up from the side table while I was watching a movie and thought "what the heck.... here goes!"

I started using some hand files to shape this very well fitted bone thimble.  I still plan on drilling some holes in rows around it, but for now this is what I have.  After I finished it I really wished I had some "before" pictures so that you could see how much fitting it took.  Oh well.  The bone and files were within reach, but alas, the camera was not.