Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ayerton Blue and Green Fashion Show - Linen Coif



Garment to be worn as part of the Stone Dog Baronial Green and Blue Fashion Show
Twelfth century linen coif. Entirely hand stitched using linen thread waxed with bees wax.
This is nothing special.  I want my entire outfit to be hand constructed, so it was simply a necessity.  I’ve made coifs before, but I’ve never completely hand stitched one.  It feels good checking things of the list, but this item actually took about 4 hours to construct from start to finish.
I mocked up the pattern using a scrap piece of material.  I pinned it together to get the overall shape before cutting the final pattern from the linen.  The linen I used was a small portion of scrap remaining from my recent shirt/braes project.  I tried to keep the stitching as small as possible as I suspected that this item might someday find its way into an A&S competition.  No single stitch is over 1/16th of an inch.  I tried to keep the length of the stitches to be no more than the width of 3 warp/weft threads.  The tie is simply the selvedge edge of the material.  I folded the selvage into a tape and whip stitched it closed.