Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Leather Cup Holder

I found this nice little 2.5 ounce hand made glass at a local shop.  The store indicated that it was hand blown and made from recycled glass.  Very cool.  I had to get it for my friar persona.  I figured I could use it to drink wine from and also to use as a painting cup when doing scribal stuff.  Problem with the friar persona is the carrying of the item.  Hmmmmm.... If I'm going to carry around a small glass cup, I'm going to need a cup holder case to put it in to ensure that it doesn't get broken while on my pilgrimage.  OK, another leather working project is born!


Basically the same exact process as the penner, so I'm not going to go into a ton of detail.  The only difference really is that I used the cup as a model to shape the case around rather than simply using a wooden dowel rod.  The cup has a very small taper to it as well so that it cannot fit into the cup when inserted upside down.  Kind of cool though.  Having to cut the case at a small angle to custom fit the package made this a bit more interesting.


inside layer completed.  This time around you'll note that i used the smooth side of the leather on the outside rather than on the inside.  Wanted to try it out more than anything to see how well it works or even if there is any noticeable difference.



Cup was placed back inside and the outer layer was built around it.

Here are views of the top and bottom of the outer layer compmleted.  Yup, I think my hand sewing is getting a little better with each project.

 

I tried something new on this project.  I used a black walnut concoction that I made in the past.  It stains my fingers just fine, so I thought it would work on the leather as well.

 

I brushed on the stain and let it sit overnight.

 

 


FAIL!
Rinsed right off and only mildly colored the leather.  Oh, crap!
I went back to my good old pall, vinegaroon.  Used the same black dye I've been using for everything else I've made lately.  Time to learn how to make a new dye.


Finished piece!
I am VERY happy with this one.  The hand sewing is looking cleaner with each project I do and the fit of this case to the glass package inside is PERFECT.  I couldn't be happier with this.  I even cringed and dropped the piece with the glass inside from about 3 feet off the ground.  No broken glass.  Very cool!

 
Bottom (left) and top (right) of the finished piece.