Thursday, April 26, 2012
Landsknecht sleeves, day 2
I started assembling the panes for the mockup of the sleeves. Turned out that I had some purple and green fleece in the basement from a past project for my kids. I wasn’t sure how I would manage the assembly. At first I ran a hand stitched seam holding the panes together at the gather point. I found that to be much too tedious. For the remaining seams I chose to use some painters tape to hold the pieces together. I laid all the pieces out on the floor and then placed a strip of masking tape along the seam line. I rather like that approach. It held well enough while I used a sewing machine to run the stitch and hold the panes together.
The blue masking tape was easily removed without damage to the material as well. I will test this on the wool before I do the final version, but I don’t see any reason why it would work differently for the wool. I’m still considering hand sewing this doublet. Until I decide for sure I think I’ll keep this tape approach in my back pocket.
You can see the stitched panes with and without the foundation layer of the sleeve lying upon it.
Posted by Ercc Glaison at 12:32 PM
Labels: Breadth Challenge, Depth Challenge, Garb, Landsknecht, Sleeves